Red Velvet Cake With Gin And Elderflower Buttercream
- 120g unsalted butter at room temp
- 300g of caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 60g of cooking oil
- 10g of cocoa powder
- 45ml of red food colouring(liquid)
- 10ml of vanilla extract
- 20ml of white vinegar
- 350g plain flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon of bi-carb soda
- 250ml buttermilk
- 200g of room temp unsalted butter
- 175g of icing sugar
- 30ml gin (Dingle Gin is our preferred brand)
- 20ml of elderflower syrup (We love Sadie’s Cordial- it’s nice and local)
- Heat oven to 175 degrees celsius, lightly grease two 8-inch cake tins with butter or oil spray and lightly dust with cocoa powder.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light in colour.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition to combine.
- In a smaller bowl mix together oil, cocoa powder, red food colouring, vinegar and vanilla until smooth. Stir coloured mixture through the creamed sugar mixture to combine.
- Sift together flour and bi-carb in a separate bowl. Add half dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk to wet ingredients and mix well. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk.
- Divide batter into 2 prepared pans and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out dry.
- Cool on a wire rack completely
- Frosting- Beat butter till fluffy and sieve in half icing sugar mix well and repeat. Add gin and syrup and mix well.
- Cover tops of cake with frosting using the back of a knife and place on top of the other and garnish with fruit if desired- raspberries or strawberries would be delish!
If you are re-creating any of our recipes please let us know how you get on & tag us on social media!