We put this dish on as a special in Castletroy and customers loved it so much that we added it to our A La Carte!
For the Chicken:
- 3 chicken breasts or cutlets, sliced in half into 6 cuts
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup all-purposè flour (use gf flour blènd if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 tsp Italian herb blend (thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (each) salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
For the Topping:
- 6 slices Mozzarella
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato/marinara sauce
- Place chicken cutlets/breasts in a ziplock bag, and firmly pound with a rolling pin or smooth side of a meat hammer – chicken thickness should be 1/2 inch.)
- Breadcrumbs: In a bowl mix all of breadcrumb ingredients together. Set up a line of bowls with flour, whisked eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Bread the Chicken: Dip chicken cutlets in flour on both sides. Then, transfer floured chicken and dip in egg on both sides. Last, dip both sides of chicken in bread crumbs. Evenly coat and pack breadcrumbs lightly with your hand.
- Brown Chicken: Heat 3 tablespoons of oil at a time in a pan – brown chicken for 2 minutes on both sides.
- Bake Chicken: Preheat oven at 200 degrees celsius. Lay browned chicken in a large baking pan or dish.
- Layer chickèn: mozzarella slices then tomato sauce over top. Bake in oven for 14 minutes – remove from oven then sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese. Place back in oven and broil on high or 1 minute until cheese is melted and browned. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with your favorite pasta!